Sep 15, 2023
- Discussing ASCO membership, education, professional development, and quality of care priorities for the region
- Increasing ASCO member engagement through activities such as volunteer opportunities, mentorship of early career oncologists (e.g., IDEA, Virtual Mentoring, and the Leadership Development Program), and outreach to training programs in the region
- Advising ASCO on the needs of and challenges for members in the region
- Identifying and adapting ASCO programs and services that can be used to address regional challenges
- Serving as a forum for regional council members to network, collaborate, and develop local solutions together.
The CEERC members, who met for the first time on September 13, are focused on three initial tasks: selecting a council chair, completing a survey about oncology needs and interests in their region, and beginning the process of selecting a site for the International Cancer Corps.
The ASCO ICC program is designed to improve the quality of cancer care at medical institutions in low- and middle-income countries through oncology training to clinical staff. Training is provided by ASCO volunteers serving as faculty and mentors for various educational programs and in-person hospital visits over the course of several years.
The newest ICC site to date is the Instituto Oncologico del Oriente Boliviano in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, which was selected through a competitive application and review process by the ASCO Latin America Regional Council. The Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Council is currently in the process of reviewing applications for an ICC site in that region.
The Society invites ASCO members in Eastern and Central Europe to contact their respective country representatives by emailing RegionalCouncil@asco.org to learn more about ASCO programs and to suggest issues for Society consideration. Members who would like to be introduced to their country representative can contact ASCO, and staff will facilitate an introduction; please also contact us for more information about any of our regional councils.