Apr 02, 2020
As the world grapples with the novel coronavirus, patients with cancer, cancer care providers, and oncology practices face unique challenges. Following are some stories about what your colleagues around the globe are seeing at their practices and the issues and challenges they’re facing and thinking about.
Nagi S. El Saghir, MD, FACP, FASCO, a member at the American University of Beirut Medical Center in Lebanon, explains the steps that he and his colleagues are taking to prevent the virus’ spread in an ASCO Connection article published March 20.
A member in Italy, Giuseppe Curigliano, MD, PhD, discusses his experiences with treating patients with cancer and containing COVID-19 in a recent ASCO Daily News article, including how they are prioritizing treatments for patients with cancer.
An American medical oncologist working in Sweden who created the Twitter account @OncoAlert and the hashtag #OncoAlert, Gil Morgan, MD, discusses with Miriam A. Knoll, MD, how the platform is helping oncologists during the coronavirus pandemic in a March 23 article in ASCO Connection.
An internal medicine resident from Lebanon, Mona Hassan, MD, recounts how the joy of arriving in the U.S. for a hematology fellowship turned into a mixture of fear, disappointment, anger, and sadness when the coronavirus pandemic cancelled the educational opportunities she was to pursue and forced her into the difficult decision to return home in an April 1 article in ASCO Connection.
COVID-19 Articles and Resources for Oncology Care Team Members and Patients
- ASCO coronavirus resources
- Patient care information:
- Provider and practice information
- Join the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Community Forum on myConnection
- ASCO/ONS Weekly COVID-19 Webinar Series: The series, which began April 2, is held every Thursday from 4 to 5 PM (ET). Learn more and register.
- ASCO Global Webinar Series on COVID-19: The series will feature resources and conversations from oncology professionals around the world on how COVID-19 is being handled in their countries and practices. The series will begin on Tuesday, April 14, at 8 AM. (ET). Register today.
- Webinar on ASCO’s response to and resources for COVID-19, held March 19. View the recording.
2020 ASCO Annual Meeting Information and Resources
- Announcement regarding this year’s meeting format, sent by ASCO president Howard A. “Skip” Burris III, MD, FASCO, FACP, on March 24, and translated into the following languages:
- ASCO Annual Meeting website, updated regularly
- ASCO Annual Meeting Frequently Asked Questions, updated regularly
- Follow @ASCO and #ASCO20 on Twitter for news and updates