Apr 06, 2021
ASCO is pleased to announce the formation of a Latin America Regional Council. This is the Society’s second regional council following the 2019 launch of the Asia Pacific Regional Council.
The Latin America Regional Council will work to address the specific needs and challenges faced by oncology professionals in the region. Council members will serve as voices for their respective countries, facilitate engagement in ASCO’s global programs, and work with Society leadership and staff to tailor ASCO programs to best support members in the region.
“Our members who are living and working in Latin America are best positioned to represent the needs of our members in that region,” said ASCO International Affairs Committee chair Clarissa Mathias, MD. “We look forward to working with them and gaining their insights to enhance provider education and patient care in Latin America and around the world.”
The council will work on a variety of ASCO programs and initiatives, including:
- Discussing ASCO membership, education, professional development, and quality of care priorities for the region
- Increasing member engagement through activities such as volunteer opportunities, mentorship of early career oncologists (through the International Development and Education Award [IDEA], Virtual Mentoring, and the Leadership Development Program, among others), and outreach to training programs in the region
- Advising ASCO on the needs of and challenges for members in the region
- Identifying and adapting ASCO programs and services that can be used to address regional challenges
- Serving as a forum for regional council members to network, collaborate, and develop local solutions together
The Society invites ASCO members in the region to engage with the work of the Latin America Regional Council by emailing RegionalCouncil@asco.org to learn more about ASCO programs, facilitate an introduction to their country representative, and to suggest issues for Society consideration.